Week Twelve: Women's Comics

This week I read This One Summer.

Starting off, I love the art style. It's very well drawn and has a touch of shoujo manga influence in the story and art.

This genre of coming of age stories, especially revolving around young girls, is one of my favorite genres. This story explored Rose's summer at Awago, learning about romance, her crush, babies, coping with her mother's trauma. She started off unsympathetic to her mother's trauma and very harsh to her mom, but towards the end she starts to understand more. Similarly, her feelings towards Jenny (shadowed by her jealousy about Jenny and the "Dud"'s relationship) are also unsympathetic. She makes biased and negative assumptions about Jenny as a result. But after seeing and hearing how both Jenny and her mother felt about their pregnancies, she softens up.

I think another interesting character is Windy, who really seems nonbiased throughout most of the story and very open minded. Even though she doesn't like the older kids, she still is sympathetic towards Jenny's plight and thinks how the Dud and his friends act aren't the best. Windy was like a foil to Rose in that sense, even though they are friends.

I love reading these stories about girls maturing and discovering new feelings because it's relatable to me because I am female and I grew up and discovered new things and matured. That's kind of obvious. I think this comic was very well written and I was honestly extremely absorbed by reading it, and would love to read more of the writer's work (although I love the illustrations too but the writing was amazing).

Overall it's a wonderful piece and I would totally recommend people read it. It makes me reflect about a lot of things as well, and analyze the characters deeper--which I love as a reaction to work. I might partake in reading Skim next, by the same author, because it sounds interesting and the main character is a lesbian from what I've looked at.

Comments