Assessment: The Killing Joke

After reading The Killing Joke, I enjoy the way Moore expanded on the Joker's backstory. I'd always wondered why the Joker was this weird villain who hates Batman and wanted to antagonize him. Before reading this, he was not very appealing to me in the way Batman, with his tragic past and clear morals, appealed to me. But now that I know a little more about what makes him tick, I understand and like him more as a character. His motivations, to prove that anyone can have a bad day and snap, seems very realistic despite it all.

This tidbit into his past also makes me want to know more about him. How did he get the things he needed to get started, since he was so poor before that he resorted to petty crime? I think that by introducing this element of an actual character backstory that answers some questions but raises even more questions, it fleshes out and develops the character into a more realistic and attractive character. Even him sharing a laugh with Batman at the end made Batman a more interesting character to me, especially with Batman's query of asking what is going to happen between the two of them and Batman's torn conscience about having the Joker's death on his hands.

I would adapt this story into a movie. It seems like a good length for a live action film, to be honest. Personally, I would stretch out the part about Batman searching for the Joker and add some more fleshing out and conflicts during that period. I think then it'd make a great film. The torture and nudity of Barbara I think would make it an M rated film, but I think that's okay with the subject matter that's shown of the Joker basically trying to break a man. However, knowing the studios wanting to make big bucks off of teenagers, they would probably remove or try to censor that part.

Comments