Week Eleven: Contemporary Literature

This week, I attempted to read Alice in Sunderland and Ice Haven. I say attempted, because I only read part of Alice in Sunderland and didn't enjoy Ice Haven.

For me, I didn't really enjoy either of them. I think it's because when I read comics or other literature, I'm doing it to get away from the drab mundaneness of the everyday I live in. These stories, to me, talk too much. Too much about being cynical, being sad, philosophy (which goes over my head), etc. They're too cynical and awkward for me. I get uncomfortable reading it, and I'm not sure if it's because of the fact that it's too real and relatable, or that I relate so little to it that I can't sympathize with the material.

I also skimmed the beginning of Why I Hate Saturn, and I also didn't like it. Maybe it's because I have a more optimistic view of life (although I'm still realistic), but these comics make me uncomfortable because they seem to have a more pessimistic and cynical view of life. I just want to explore fantastical settings, and go on adventures.

That's my opinion on these comics, of course. Some other people, maybe people who are really into philosophy, would probably like these types of comics. I can see that, but for my personal taste they're too dark and depressing.

Comments