Week Ten: Manga

As an avid reader of manga, I am familiar with Astro Boy, Death Note, Mushishi, and some of Bakuman! I love manga, and manga is what I'm actually more familiar with vs western comic books.

For a long time, I thought Western comics were mostly comic strips, and didn't really know the existence of comic books, etc. I think I was aware of manga before I was aware of comic books, thanks to our library having a decent selection of manga.

Mushishi is in fact one of my favorite manga, and Death Note was one of the first manga series I finished.

Mushishi has such a gentle way of story telling in a graphic novel, something that American comic books, being that a lot of them focus on action and humor, seem to lack, save for the few outliers. I really loved the beautiful scenery and story and worldbuilding behind Mushishi. It's an entire world in this comic book to explore. This is why it's one of my favorites.

Death Note I'm actually less fond of. I think it's a pretty staple manga--up until when L dies and his proteges take over. From there I feel like the story gets too weird and messy, and Near is a lacking character as a whole. But the whole first arc is great, and I think Mello and Matt's characters are also well fleshed out. I just think everything afterwards is lacking.

One thing I'm actually surprised to learn is that Tezuka wrote not only Astro Boy, but also Dororo. Dororo has had a resurgence in popularity recently due to a recent anime adaptation. I've seen some of it, but never connected that Tezuka did both of them.

Another thing that interested me was the Battle Angel Alita Last Order comic. See, I watched the Alita movie when it came out because of a date, and I wasn't super enthralled by it. I think the plot and story behind Last Order is a lot more intriguing. I like Alita's character here a lot more than from the movie.

Comments